EXCLUSIVE TO EMBRACE LIFESTYLE

STAR OF THE MONTH: CHISOMO

Hey embracers I hope you all enjoying the festive season. 2017 is coming to an end and it had its ups and downs, hopefully 2018 will surprise us.
I am delighted to present to you our last star of the month for the year 2017 Chisomo. Chisomo is a natural hair blogger and she is a writer. She completed her degree earlier this year at UNISA. She is passionate about natural hair and this prompted her to create Oh, fro (blog).  She is a force to be reckoned with and I hope her story will inspire you.
Tell us about yourself?
I am Chisomo, a Pretoria native, lover of pretty things, an eager wordsmith and weirdo – yes, I warmly embrace the term. I’m also an overly obsessed natural hair enthusiast and I love to inspire others.
What inspired you to start blogging about natural hair?
Honestly? I didn’t want to bore my Facebook friends lol. I started blogging as a result of needing a space where I could share my hair journey and in return inspire others to go natural or continue with their own hair journey.
What is the purpose of Oh, fro?
The purpose of Oh, fro is to inspire, that’s the main aim. Although natural hair is being accepted in various spaces – whether it be places of work or even in the media, there are still spaces where it is not accepted and looked at as unkempt. As black people we were hoodwinked and bought into the lie that our hair is not “good enough”, that we can only be accepted by adhering to Western standards of beauty…the objective of Oh, fro is to show the opposite and create a positive space where people can learn about and see how absolutely beautiful natural hair is.
How has blogging benefitted you as a brand?
Blogging has definitely helped me become a lot more confident in my abilities. It has also helped me put myself out there in a way I never imagined. As a result of blogging I have had job offers – both on a professional level and associated with natural hair awareness. It’s definitely shown me the potential I have as a blogger/creative and the opportunities that are available out there.
Besides blogging, what else are you passionate about?
I’m passionate about writing, specifically fiction, as well as reading – anytime that I can curl up with a good book, I’m there like a bear J. I love baking and listening to some really good music, the kind you won’t really find on music radio.
Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Wow…in the next five years I hope to have published a book or two. I believe I have a mind for entrepreneurship so I hope to have started a business I’m passionate about. The travel bug is comfortably hiding in my veins so I also wish to have seen a lot more of the world by then.
What advice would you give to women who are thinking of switching to natural hair?
I’d advise them to research as much as possible first before going natural, don’t chop your hair off and then sit wondering what to do with it. Secondly, once you have gone natural, find out what your hair porosity is so that this can guide you with knowing exactly what your hair needs and choose products accordingly.
How do you maintain your natural hair?
People don’t believe me when I say this but I’m what you call a “lazy natural”, I really don’t like to be bothered by my hair at all. I wash and deep condition my hair once a week and set it in a protective style for the week and usually only let my hair out over the weekends. I make sure to spritz my hair every morning and evening and do scalp massages every other day. Recently, I’ve started adding hot oil treatments to my regimen every two weeks.
Parting words
I believe that who we’re called and meant to be usually lies within something that we feel most fulfilled at doing so whatever your talent is, if you’re passionate about it, follow it wholeheartedly. Your future self will thank you.
Social media details:
Facebook – www.facebook.com/OhfroOfficial
Instagram - @oh_fro
Blog link: ohfroblog.wix.com/ohfro
Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year, brace yourselves more blog posts are coming in 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXCLUSIVE TO EMBRACE LIFESTYLE

STAR OF THE MONTH

EXCLUSIVE TO EMBRACE LIFESTYLE